Monday, February 7, 2011

Beautiful, Beautiful Russian Men (East Coast Travels: Part 6)

In Brooklyn, and near Boston's Beacon Street grocery store, I encounter large quantities of Russian men in a street setting, which is something I have never experienced. My eyes do what they always do, which is something only strangers (male) know about me. I am putting up neon signs in my eyes. They announce a specific message: "Hello. I think you're beautiful. Sure, we're in a public place, and sure, I'm married. And you're probably also married. But behind my eyes, that LOVELY beard of yours is between my legs."

The thing about Russian men is that they SEE boldly. They don't miss the neon signs. They stare back strongly and unabashedly, without hesitation. They don't play coy games. They have full confidence in what they are seeing. They flash their own neon signs on in response (though they get switched off momentarily when their wives are looking). Their signs read: "I see you, winter-cheeked American girl. I know EXACTLY what you want in your mouth. Just WHAT do you plan to do about it." There is no question mark at the end of that. No games, no playful smile. Their signs call my bluff, accuse me wryly of initiating something I don't have the bravery to finish.

Russian men's eyes do NOT fuck around. Of all the places I've been in this world, no men have looked at me that way. The memory of it keeps hijacking my nervous system, filling my sleep with fever, with hunger...

2 comments:

  1. The joys of inter-gender communication.

    These Russian men, were they older folk, or young guys? As you wrote it, I read them as being much older (late 40s to early 60s) because they'd have accumulated the life experience and confidence that allows that kind of stance.

    Or, maybe it's all speculative? Maybe they thought you were trying to put something on? :?

    I dunno, non-verbal communication is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to venture the opinion that all Russian people do NOT fuck around, about anything. They seem to be intense, hardcore folk. At least, that's the impression I've received.

    ReplyDelete