Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Parachute

Parachute, Colorado is about two hours from the Utah border on I-70. Though it is only twenty minutes west of the town I grew up in, I never spent much time here when I was growing up. There was really no reason to. It was pretty much a photocopy of all the other towns in the area. Spending the past six weeks here has been my first real exposure to the town. It’s nothing extraordinary, but I have grown fond of it. The semi-desert scenery surrounding Parachute is stunning. The town residents are all so friendly. The Mexican cowboys are gorgeous!

I’ve made a list of the businesses to be found in “downtown” Parachute. On the north side of I-70: A school. Vance Johnson’s Outlaw Ribbs. El Tapatio Mexican restaurant. Hong’s Garden Chinese restaurant. A Lift-Up thrift store. A Mexican grocery store. Napa Auto Parts. A Subway. Two gas stations. A Mexican carneceria. A taco truck. A rest area. A Colorado souvenir shop with a teepee on the roof. A liquor store. On the south side of I-70: A liquor store. Two gas stations. A library. Town Hall. A fire station. A bar/cafe. True Value Hardware. Wendy’s. Pizza Hut. A motel where a lot of the Halliburton workers stay.

And that’s it for Parachute, except for some churches, an elementary school, all located out in the residential areas, and two Kum & Go’s. (Total, this town has six gas stations, one of which sells corn based ethanol. And with all the pickups and Halliburton trucks around here, none of the stations hurt for business.)

Here's a view of downtown Parachute, taken from nearby Battlement Mesa:


Here are some pictures of downtown Parachute:








Here are some photos from the Parachute rest stop. The flower shaped solar panels (awesome!!!!) generate all the rest stop's electricity.






The little town of Battlement Mesa lies a few miles southeast of Parachute. It has a grocery store, a recreation center, an Alpine Bank, and a bar/grill. Between Parachute and Battlement Mesa is a tiny cemetery, which I decided to visit yesterday. I am always fascinated by cemeteries, but I found this one to be especially interesting. The designs on the headstones really reflect the local culture. Here are some photos:



This one was my favorite:







This little grave was so sad. Only a tiny metal plaque and a concrete star:


This was one of the oldest headstones:


There were a couple of headstones that had Freemason symbols on them, but this one was the most fascinating:









This one made me feel really sad:

2 comments:

  1. I wonder, a thousand years from now, what people will extrapolate about us based on the design and content of these graves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parachute reminds me so much of the little town in Michigan where I grew up. A Mexican restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, a school, and a couple of gas stations. 7 traffic lights in the whole town.

    I loved the pictures of cemeteries. My mother used to visit old cemeteries and have picnics there. An old cemetery is among the most soothing, tranquil places in the world she said. Since there are no cemeteries in San Francisco I'm going to have to take a drive soon down to Colma!

    ReplyDelete